Associate Professor, Water Resources Research Center
Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 342
Phone: (808) 956-4249
Related web page: View
- PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011
- MS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, 2005
- BS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology, 2003
FIELDS OF INTEREST:
- Earth remote sensing
- Land-atmosphere interaction
- Data assimilation: Techniques, development and applications
- Optimization techniques and parameter estimation in hydrology
- Application of artificial intelligence methods
Sayed Bateni is an Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Water Resources Research Center. He teaches a wide range of topics such as, engineering hydraulics, fluid mechanics, remote sensing with hydrological applications and applied hydrology.
Professor Bateni’s current work involves creating a real-time irrigation scheduling software for farmlands in Hawaiʻi, Guam and American Samoa. Growing demands on the allocation of limited water resources and potential decreases in precipitation make it imperative that farmers acquire the ability to match irrigation application with crop water needs (the so-called optimal irrigation scheduling) to increase water use efficiency and improve water conservation. Professor Bateni developed a novel approach that characterizes the impact of advection on evapotranspiration (ET), and can accurately estimate ET on tropical islands. In addition, he estimates snow emissivity over the US by assimilating remotely sensed multi-frequency passive microwave, land surface temperature (LST), and albedo data into an Ensemble Batch Smoother (EnBS) data assimilation framework.
Professor Bateni earned his Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachussetts. He earned an M.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Sharif University of Technology in Theran, Iran and a B.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Isfahan University of Technology in Isfahan, Iran.